After reaching the conclusion of my novel, The Death of Grass, I feel that Pirrie is the most compelling character.
Reasons for choosing Pirrie:
1. Pirrie does not have very many morals making his actions interesting while questionable.
2. He has no problem with killing other people without a specific cause.
3. Pirrie is a natural born leader.
4. Pirrie is controlling over John even though John is supposedly in charge.
5. He craves power and always wants to have power over the others.
6. He is so quick to question others' decisions while not reflecting upon his own.
7. Pirrie is really only in this for himself and doesn't give much regard to the others.
8. He can pass off a bad action (such as murder) for something necessary for survival.
9. He insists that there is only one way out of trouble, murder.
10. Pirrie is easily the most persuasive character and turns John into a totally different person than who he was before.
At his point in my novel Nectar in a Sieve i have determined that the most compelling character is Rukmani
1) she is kind to everyone no matter the circumstances
2) she handles hardships well
3) she provides for her family even when times are rough
4) she is literate and even men at the time are not.
5) she wants the best for everyone
6) she works hard and never gives up
7) she refuses to give up when times get rough
8) she is a good mother
9) she doesn’t let society change her values
10) she thinks the best of people even when they don’t deserve it
At this point in The Death of Grass I think John is the most compelling character. The following list explains why:
1. He is very protective of the group, and he will do what ever it takes to keep them safe.
2. He is kind to a fault by letting Jane, Spooks, and the Blennitt’s group join his group.
3. He is loyal to his wife because he does not aggree to committing adultry with Millicent.
4. He was a great leader because he made decisions for the group rather than for himself or his family.
5. He is clever because he was able to convince Joe Aston’s group to join his, and he was able to allow his group escape the men at Masham.
6. He is intelligent because he comes up with the plan that got his group out of London.
7. He is selfless because he decides to let the whole group into the farm instead of only his family and him.
8. He is confident in the way that he believes he will lead his group to Blind Gill no matter what gets in his way.
9. He is creative because he comes up with many plans that help his team survive.
10. Finally, he is sympathetic because he tells his team not to kill David, John’s brother and owner of Blind Gill, before they over take it.
I feel like the most compelling character in my novel, The Death of Grass, is Pirrie.
1. Pirrie is willing to do a lot of things that the others wouldn't dream of doing he makes some of the hard decisions for the group.
2. He is the most memorable character in my opinion because he doesn't care what other people think about him. He has a goal and is willing to do anything to get it.
3.Pirrie has the skills leading into the adventure that is needed to survive. He is one of the main reasons that the group makes it through.
4. He is able to overpower John when it comes to making decisions. John may be the one who is in charge but Pirrie can do whatever he want and get away with it.
5. He seems to always know what he is talking about and gives insight to the rest of the characters and for the most part the others listen.
6. He goes from a innocent old man to a murder at random.
7. He is quick to except the new laws of the land before anyone else and seems to take the law into his own hands before everyone else does.
8. The rest of the group seems to act as one mind for the most part while Pirrie has a mind of his own.
9. Pirrie isn't a good person but he is usually right when it comes to the survival of the group.
10. He saves the group multiple times because of his skills with a gun and doesn't dwell on that fact.
In the book, Death of Grass, I find Rodger to be the most interesting.
1. Rodger seems to have an actual personality and development
2. He is the supplier of the information to John and his family
3. He seems smarter and more rational than the rest of the group
4. He helps John with making decisions
5. Rodgers very confident in his knowledge and abilities
6. He is resourceful
7. Rodger actually thinks logically
8. Rodger actually pays attention to the other characters
9. Rodger is actually worried about the group and what will happen
10. Rodger is focused on getting to John brother’s farm
The most compelling character in The Good Earth is the first son.
1. He is one of the only characters who knows how to read
2. He is smart enough to know his way around problems
3. He loves his wife and doesn't bore of her
4. He has the interesting fault of pride
5. He is the first of his siblings to have a kid
6. He is dramatic when he doesn't get his way so that can be entertaining
7. He came up with the solution to get rid of the uncle and his wife and kid
8. He looks out for his youngest brother by bring up the third son's problems to Wang Lung (when the third son wouldn't)
9. He can be both the devil and the angel on his father's shoulder
10. Currently in the story, he has the most interesting character arc from being a rebellious teen, to sticking to his father's side, to being prideful and pushy with his father when it comes to money
The most compelling character in The Death of Grass so far is Roger.
1. In the beginning of the book he has a distinct, outspoken attitude and does not shy of delivering unwanted opinions.
2. He is the first character to openly accept the inevitability of the self-preservation mentality.
3. He serves as an interesting foil to Ann's idealism in the beginning, but always treats her and the rest of the group with considerable respect.
4. He manages to both undergo character development and still not completely change who he is throughout the book.
5. Soon, he becomes a moderate voice of reason when John consistently supports all of Pirrie's actions.
6. He passes information and leadership of the group to John and stands by him despite his self-preservation ideology.
7. When John and his family, but not the rest, are offered asylum by David, Roger encourages John to take it, which clashes with his previously strong self-preservation mentality.
8. Roger is one of the few characters that actually has a distinct personality.
9. Roger thinks about most things in terms of logic and thus is often a good voice of reason.
10. Roger brilliantly plays the part of the loyal assistant while still retaining a mind and character of his own.
The most compelling character in Nectar in A Sieve is Rukmani for these following reasons.
1. She is very kind to everyone she meets.
2. She knows how to handle hardships.
3. She is able to adjust quickly.
4. She makes the best of a bad situation.
5. She is a very intelligent woman who knows how to write in India.
6. She was a very powerful woman and knew her worth.
7. She didn't let her dowry affect how she felt about herself.
8. She can feed her family and be there for them.
9. She is a loving and caring wife and mother.
10. She is the rock that holds the family together.
11. Last, but not least, she always puts her children first.
I am reading Gold Fame Citrus. I think Luz is the most compelling character so far because she's has a realistic personality, not just a generic good-guy persona.
1) She's a brat.
2) She has enough good in her heart to take after Ig even though she could have easily abandoned her.
3) She's indecisive and doesn't mind sleeping with several people.
4) She (most of the time) is loyal to Ray.
5) When she first thought that Ray was dead, she was legitimately concerned.
6) She's afraid to stand up for herself in certain situations.
7) She's hesitant to fit in in this new community because it's a new environment in comparison to have been living alone with Ray.
8) She doesn't realize that she needs serious mental help.
9) She's bold and outspoken.
10) She thinks in-depth and thoroughly to figure out her male issues.
She's pretty chill even if she does the nasty quite a bit :/
The most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Rukmani
1. She easily adapts to different situations. When she first moved to her new hut with Nathan, she quickly adapts to the farm life despite living as the daughter of the head of the village.
2. She overcomes difficulties with an open mind. When she was unable to get a son, she sought out Kenny, a foreign doctor.
3. She provides for her family. When droughts strike and there is a lack of food, Rukmani rations out rice for each member of the family, even denying guests food so that there is enough for her family.
4. She is protective of her family.
5. But likewise, she knows when to let her children go. When her sons renounce the farm and shift to the city for jobs, she understands their need for work and distaste for the land
6. She loves her husband. Even when Nathan cheated on her twice, she is understanding and lets it go.
7. She isn't afraid to fight. When Kunti threatens her and her family, she instantly launches herself at her, showing that although Rukmani may seem weak, she isn't afraid of fighting those who disrespect her.
8. She is literate at a time when some men themselves aren't literate.
9. She is hardworking. Even towards the end of the book, where she is older, she doesn't hesitate to work in the mines to earn money.
10. Rukmani is considerate of others. Despite being a young girl, she doesn't hesitate to stay by Kunti's side when she is giving birth.
After finishing Death of Grass, I think that Pirrie is the most compelling character because...
1) His personality becomes increasingly more aggressive throughout the book.
2) He kills his wife as if it is no big deal.
3) He is in excellent physical shape for an older man.
4) He kills as if he is an assassin, with no emotions or concerns.
5) He is almost creepily loyal to John even though they didn't even know each other before escaping London together.
6) He wants to be with Jane even though she is much younger than he is.
7) He manipulates John into a stubborn leader that refuses to listen to the advice of pretty much everyone except Pirrie.
8) He is very level headed in all of the life-and-death situations they encounter when a normal person would be freaking out.
9) He is somehow very sensitive and somewhat arrogant at the same time.
10) He is very nonchalant about death and injuries when the whole point of the journey was survival.
After finishing Nectar in a Sieve, I think that the most compelling character is Ira:
1. Her personality drastically shifts from a happy, carefree child to a burdened adult.
2. She will do whatever it takes to help her son and brother.
3. She takes a realistic approach to get money for her family.
4. She is happy with her son regardless of his albinism.
5. She is always hardworking and never gives up.
6. Ira thinks logically about the situation of her family and is not completely naive.
7. She is a strong, independent woman.
8. Despite the fact that her husband left her, she still works hard to become fertile and is hopeful.
9. She is selfless and helps her family a lot.
10. She defends her situation and will not back down when her parents disapprove.
In my novel, The Death of Grass, I believe the most compelling character by far is Pirrie.
1) Pirrie's first appearance makes his morals seem very different from the rest of the story.
2) Pirrie owns a gun shop to begin with, so that adds to the mysterious behavior.
3) In the group, Pirrie felt that survival came first and also seems to feel no remorse for his doings.
4) Pirrie killed his wife with almost no afterthought and then married a younger girl.
5) Pirrie's exterior shows a old man that could do no harm, but his character changes very quickly.
6) His skills throughout the book makes him a valuable part of the group, and seems to have a mind of his own.
7) Pirrie does many horrible things throughout the book with the excuse of survival.
8) Pirrie is great at leading the group in their endeavors.
9) Pirrie is very compelling towards the group by convincing them that their survival is necessary compared to others lives, especially John.
10) Pirrie also questions others ideas and feels his plans are the best.
After finishing The Death of Grass, I feel the most compelling character would be Pirrie since...
1- Essentially, he has the most power in the group, as he has the best marksmanship.
2- He seems to have a fetish for John.
3- He is one of, if not the only, reason that the group has been successful in reaching Blind Gill.
4- For his extremely violent outbreaks, he seems, normally, quiet and eerie.
5- His main focus for the entire journey was survival or the thought that only the strongest and smartest would survive (Darwinism at its finest).
6- He shows absolutely no emotion after his violent outbreaks. An example is the murder of his wife.
7- He "peer-pressures" John into making decisions, yet gives John credit for them.
8- He is an alpha male, without dominant and pronounced emotion. Meaning, he makes his presence felt through action instead of emotion.
9- He's a pedophile, yet he makes it seem ordinary that he's courting Jane.
10- He is a natural born leader, who thrives when making difficult decisions.
O-lan is the most compelling character.
1. She is quiet and rarely talks
2. She does most of the housework
3. She gives birth without help from a midwife
4. She works in the fields even after childbirth
5. She was sold as a slave when she was a girl
6. She knows how to beg on the streets
7. She never asks for accessories
8. Without her, the family falls apart
9. Wang Lung becomes rich because of her
10. She worries more about others than herself
In The Good Earth*
After reading The Death of Grass, in my opinion, the most interesting character is Pirrie.
1-Pirrie starts out as a pretty normal and basic character, which gave us room to get to know the character throughout the book.
2-Early on through the book, Pirrie is already seen as strong and fierce and has no problem making harsh decisions.
3- Since Pirrie is an old man, most readers would think that he would be a burden to the team, but Pirrie is actually one of the heads of the pack.
4-Pirrie seems like a leader and in my opinion seems the most qualified to be a leader, but he gives the role to John.
5-Pirrie shows a cruel side when he kills innocent and unknown people, but also shows a kind side when helping John find Mary and Ann.
6-Pirrie has no reluctance when it comes to killing his wife, which is a bit alarming.
7- Pirrie is the wisest out of the group and has the best advice even though his intentions may not seem right.
8- After killing his wife, Pirrie decides to take in a younger woman, which was shocking and interesting.
9-Even though Pirrie was disliked by some people in the group, he was one of the main reasons why the group made it to the farm and kept everyone safe.
10- Pirrie kept on fighting even when he was hurt and weak and never gave up. He seemed selfish but helped John at the cost of his life in the end.
The most compelling character is John Custance; main character, he is the group leader, he reminds me of Max from Mad Max, his stress makes him relatable, his decisions are always logical, his motivation is steadfast and sensible, he is an interesting person, he will do anything to protect his group, he is a good leader, he is one of the few characters that exhibits actual character development.
The Good Earth
The most compelling character is O-LAN.
1. She is loyal to Wang Lung.
2. She is very quiet .
3. She gave birth to many children without help.
4. She was the reason Wang Lung became rich.
5. She was smart enough to steal the jewels in the hiding spot.
6. She knows how to beg and knows the secrets of the rich.
7. She hardly complains about anything.
8. After her death the family falls apart.
9. She is strong to face the real world because she was abused and all in the House of Hwang.
10. She does any work that she has been ordered to do.
By the end of the Death of Grass, not many characters are very compelling; most of the characters have either killed somebody or been raped, neither of which are things I plan on working towards. If I based it off of the characters original states, I’d probably say John, because he is an engineer who has friend said who his wife hates, which seems pretty compelling to me.
Nectar in a Sieve
The most compelling character is Rukmani.
1) She stays with Nathan and comforts him.
2) She learns in the story as we learn about what is going on.
3) Rukmani has helpful ideas throughout the story.
4) She want the best for everyone.
5) She’s a good mother.
6) She adopted Puli.
7) Althogh she struggles, she remains hopeful.
8) She returns home to continue and help her family.
9) People see her as a comfort and friendly.
10) Rukmani has powerful emotions that touches all readers.
Nectar In A Sieve
The most compelling character is Ira
1. She is beautiful and looks nothing like her parents
2.She is obedient and sweet
3. Her husband leave school her so she becomes depressed
4. She has a child even though her husband said she couldn’t
5. Her child turns out to be Albaino but she still loves him
6. She gets married very young and doesn’t complain
7. She takes care of her youngest brother as if he were her child
8. She finds a man even though she is very poor and in a lower class
9. She is strong and doesn’t let society change her
10. She uses her beauty as her strength and finds guys to sleep with to have a child
The most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Ira.
1. Ira makes decisions based on the betterment of the family.
2. Ira did whatever she could to keep her brother alive even though what she did was unlawful.
3. Ira always knows whats going on and instead of ignoring it, she tries to help the family.
4. Ira is the oldest and acts as a role model for her brothers.
5. Ira stayed with her brother to protect him.
6. Ira loves her son despite his imperfections and what the family says about it.
7. She stands up for herself and what she was doing for the family, so she could continue to help them out.
8. She was old enough to understand the money issues amongst the family and she went out to do something about it.
9. Ira grows up throughout the book, showing her mistakes and how she dealt with them.
10. Ira took responsibility of her siblings when the mother couldn’t care for them any longer.
In my novel, Nectar in a Sieve, Kenny is the most compelling chracter.
1. He opposes the injustice and poverty of Rukmani and her families life.
2. He takes actions against poverty, including seeking foreign aid.
3. He is able to provide Rukmanis family with medicine and healthcare.
4. He is forced to choose to give up his wife and children to continue his work in India.
5. He encourages Rukmani and her village to cry out for help instead of staying silent.
6. He is the main contributor to the hospital being built in the village.
7.He provides one of Rukmanis sons with a job at his hospital.
8. He believes in equality and fairness.
9. He has a kind heart and good goals.
10. He trades his more luxurious life to him help try and make Rukmani and her people's better.
After finishing the novel, I think the most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Kunthi:
1) Her ability to blackmail both Rukmani and Nathan is admirable.
2) She is one of the most relatable characters due to her obvious dislike of Rukmani.
3) Her actions reveal how adulterous Nathan was.
4) Kunthi is one of the most independent females in the book.
5) Kunthi was able to endure the birthing of her children, even when the midwife was late.
6) Kunthi is the most dynamic character in the story, as she is introduced as a meek housewife and ends up transitioning into a deceptive minx.
7) She is willing to take up jobs that are generally viewed as immodest in her society in order to make ends meet for herself.
8) Even though her husband leaves her, Kunthi is still able to fend for herself.
9) Kunthi becomes the most likeable characters once she coerces Rukmani to give her rice.
10) Kunthi is one of the characters with the most common sense, as she is able to see how naive Rukmani is.
After finishing Nectar in a Sieve I think the most compelling character is Nathan
1. He cheats on his wife
2. He's a hard worker
3. He has had children with other women
4. He died while working
5. Mostly good husband
6. Doesn't give up
7. Married young
8. Super optimistic
9. Admits faults
10. Provides for his family
The most compelling person in my novel Gold Fame Citrus would be Levi.
1. He had a difficult past that made him strong like he is today.
2. He has a strong sense of leadership.
3. He is manipulative and cunning when it comes to getting people to do what he wants.
4. He uses a drug-like plant to coax people into working for and with him.
5. He is smart and carries a vast knowledge of the evolving world around him.
6. He is very confident in what he believes in and won’t take no for an answer.
7. He knows people and how to appeal to them and convincing them that he is right and he is doing what’s best for the people.
8. He isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.
9. He always carries a sense of duty and responsibility to care for the colony, so he is always cautious, careful, and protective.
10. He is good at hiding his emotions. He cares for people and although it isn’t blatantly obvious when he does; he truly does take care of people with the best intentions.
John is the most compelling character.
1. He takes stragglers in out of pity
2. He does a good job of being a leader
3. Everyone is really annoying but he is still patient
4. He is loyal to his wife
5. He always keeps his head
6. He tries not to kill people
7. He is smart because he knows Pierre is a bad person but still keeps him because the group will not make it to the farm without him.
8. John never abuses his power even though he has 30 people blindly following him
9. John is skilled with guns
10.John is good at strategy and problem solving.
After reading The Death of Grass, I think the most compelling character is Pirrie:
1. He brings a lot of action to the story because he is a gunman.
2. He starts out as a secondary character so the reader sees him grow dynamically.
3. One of the main characters, John, begins to get influenced by Pirrie and starts to follow his morals.
4. He has messed up social morals; he kills people without question.
5. He kills his wife and then decides to marry a younger teenager.
6. He is very strong for an old man, and try's to survive even when he gets shot.
7. Pirrie is hated by most of the women in the group, but he still trys to protect everyone.
8. Pirrie is a quiet character at first, but as the story goes on, the reader finds out that he is a savage on the inside.
9. Pirrie has the characteristics of a leader, yet he gives the leadership role to John and is loyal to him, which is strange considering he has cruel morals.
10. He can persuade people that an action like murder is necessary for survival.
I think the most compelling character in The Good Earth is O-Lan because
1. She is strong enough to give birth by herself.
2. She is determined enough to go back to work in the fields after giving birth.
3. She is quiet which makes you wonder what she thinks and feels most of the time.
4. It is interesting to see how she reacts with Lotus in the house.
5. She doesn't pay much attention to her own wellbeing but rather to that of others.
6. She knows how to beg to get money when they are in the city.
7. She knows a lot about the life of a slave.
8. She knows to take jewels from the Rich house and is the reason the family becomes rich.
9. When she is dying the family falls apart, meaning she was the one who kept the house running.
10. Her dying wish was to see her family settled well.
After finishing The Death of Grass by John Christopher, I believe Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1. He cause most of the action and conflict in the story
2. He seems to have no morals at first, but we soon uncover his true identity
3. His past is somewhat of a mystery
4. His relationship with his wife is very tense and he shows no remorse when murdering her.
5. He is unpredictable and the reader is watching his every move.
6. When asking to marry Jane, he is surprisingly kind and gentle towards her.
7. Even though disliked, he continues to protect the group.
8. He is persistent in everything he does.
9. He gradually becomes more important to the story
10. He continues to give good advise though his actions may seem dangerous.
I think that John is the most compelling character in “The Death of Grass”.
1. John is the elected leader of the group.
2. John leads an attack on his brothers farm.
3. John doesn’t want to take Jane.
4. John keeps Pirrie around.
5. John makes sensible decisions.
6. John protects the group.
7. John is kind and likes some of the children in the group, but doesn’t like other children to be in the group.
8. John has the will to make tough decisions.
9. John listens to the people and takes what they want into heart.
10. John gets them to his brothers farm.
The most compelling character in The Good Earth is Ching.
1. Ching is humble and loyal to Wang Lung.
2. Wang Lung mourns Chings death more than any other death in the book.
3. Ching appears to be Wang Lung's only real friend.
4. Wang Lung wanted to put Ching's body in the family grave.
5. Ching became successful by being nice.
6. Ching sold his daughter.
7. He is Wang Lung's employee, but he is treated as an equal.
8. Ching stays loyal to the land until he dies.
9. Ching dies because of farm work.
10. Ching got help from Wang Lung because he donated some beans to Wang Lung.
In the novel, The Death of Grass, Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1) Despite being very old, he ends up being the most useful in the group
2) Pirrie seems like he can control John’s decisions and indirectly led the group
3) He was an excellent marksman
4) He kills his own wife, which is interesting and shows his ability to kill people easily
5)He marries Jane, an 18 year old girl, without telling others the reason why
6)Pirrie changes John into a more ruthless person as the story progresses
7) Pirrie killed a lot of people without hesitation
8) Pirrie can act surprisingly kind hearted, like at the end he told John to leave him to die so that John can finish the mission
9) Despite being the most useful, he is the most hated within the group
10) Pirrie gives the leadership role to John multiple times even though Pirrie is more capable of leading the group, in my opinion
At this point of the book, The Death of Grass, I feel like the most compelling character would have to be Roger. I feel this way for ten reasons:
1) He Knows a lot about the virus
2) He has inside news about what the government is doing
3) He is close to John
4) He tells them about the Bombing
5) He is smart
6) He is trustworthy and plays a key role in the journey
7) He can use a gun
8) He keeps everyone calm
9) He is resourceful
10) He has sympathy for the others
After finishing The Death of Grass, I find the most compelling character to be John Custance.
Here are the following reasons why:
(1. John was able to balance leading and family
(2. He made difficult decisions in drastic times
(3. He helped keep the group under control
(4. Cares about his childrens’ future.
(5. Does what he has to do in order to be successful.
(6. Takes his job as a leader seriously.
(7. Lots of determination in order to get to The Valley.
(8. Doesn’t just stand back, he involves in the work.
(9. Inspires the group to stay focused.
(10. Agrees to take Jane along after killing her parents.
My chosen novel is The Death of Grass by John Christopher. The character I found to be the most worth my attention was very difficult to decide because the author habitually introduced characters for transparent purposes and then expended of them in out-of-character ways for the sake of the plot, but I found it easier to tolerate reading about Pirrie.
(1) Pirrie was a character whose inexplicable actions caused him to be invulnerable to my complaint of acting outside of his established personality. His whole purpose was to do whatever it took to survive, and I found it more enjoyable seeing how he would react to his environment when I had the expectation that he wouldn't attempt a poorly written inner monologue about morality.
(2) Despite being a survivalist, Pirrie's irregularity could be influenced by the needs of his group, and he was content with formulating plans to recover his associate's abducted family or taking risks if John had weighed the odds.
(3) Pirrie was a sensible man with his reservations; even with connections to Roger, he was not willing to embark on a wild goose chase to find a potential safe place, especially if there was any reason for him to be skeptical that the rumors of the bombing weren't true.
(4) Pirrie was able to cover the soft spots in the party's defenses. If ever a shot was missed, an ambush was spotted too late, or an enemy was brought to fighting spirit, he shut them down just as quickly as the accident had flared up.
(5) Pirrie could easily have been a free agent. He joined the group relatively late, but it was clear from the start that he was more than capable of executing the journey with minimal help. His intentions were vague and for his own benefit, and he only assisted the others because it benefitted him.
(6) He was a better main character than the main character, in my opinion.
Pirrie got distracted with romantic affairs very easily-- particularly with younger women-- which was pretty weird. But from what I can tell, this was to allow him to phase out of the plot without becoming the center of attention, because he was honestly a better main character than John. Yes, even without the good intentions of serving a family. Even without being a morally upright citizen. A main character is meant to hold your attention or at least to point your attention to what the author is trying to say, and for me, Pirrie was the most successful at accomplishing this. That being said, he was also given too much relevance and power. He did not struggle enough as a character, and had little opportunity to grow. But this is because the author did not intend for him to grow-- a character of his variety was intended to create or amplify facets of the others' personalities. John Christopher just happened to write the others' personalities in a way where the tool which was intended to boost them became more interesting for me to read about.
(7) Pirrie had a tendency to only kill at John's signal. The other characters made him out to be a brutal killer, and I will not deny that statement; Pirrie was no stranger to blood. However, he only ambushed Jane's house when John allowed them to ransack it, only shot Millicent when he had John's word, and typically took a shot without command in the event that John failed or his allies were in jeopardy. In other words, Pirrie wasn't just a gunsmith, but a gun-- John's gun. Which is pretty cool symbolism, if you ask me.
(8) Pirrie lacked the concern to validate Ann's self-righteousness. He didn't care what she thought of him, and he didn't care how she felt.
(9) Pirrie didn't have much of a backstory, and wasted little time with self-revelation. He existed for the present moment, which made him more immersive.
(10) In the end, Pirrie allowed himself to die. He had a chance at life, and even after behaving ruthlessly just so he could make it to paradise, he let go. After struggling all that time as an old man who wanted to live out the rest of his life, with his head grazed by a bullet and his freezing clothes soaked to the skin, he just gave up. This makes me rethink what his purpose may have been, and whether it was different than what he showed on the surface. It is impossible to judge whether he died just to fulfill the author's quota, or if there was a genuine and poetic reason for his death to be discerned from the reading. I found that to be a rather curious end.
At this point I think the most compelling character is Pierre.
1. He is the most useful
2. He does some immoral things
3. He kills his own wife
4. Marries a 18 year old girl for no reason
5. Nobody really likes him in the group
6. He talks john into doing some pretty terrible things as well
7. He knows how to handle weapons
8. He lets John vet the leader even though he would probably be better
9. He kills when it's not really needed
10. He's very outspoken about his opinion of how things are going to go
At this point on the book I think that the most compelling character is Pierre
1.he is willing to do anything
2.he kills his wife and acts like it’s no big deal
3.he marries a teenage girl after he kills his wife
4.he shoots people without even caring
5.he is very honest on what he feels with other members in the group
6.he causes a lot of the action in this story to happen and carries the story along
7.hes one of the leaders
8.hes very good at persuading people to get what he wants
9.in a way he kind of brainwashed the people on the trip with him that what he is doing is always right and that he shouldn’t be questioned
10.hes a really good leader
In my opinion, the most compelling character from 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘌𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘩 is O-Lan.
1) O-Lan is loyal to Wang Lung even though he treats her horribly.
2) She doesn’t complain no matter what the circumstances are.
3) Her dedication and life experience is always helpful and pulls them through tight situations.
4) Even though Lotus is in the house, O-Lan does not protest or acknowledge her.
5) Even on her deathbed, she refuses to have excessive amounts of money spent on her.
6) She gave up the pearls with minimal protest.
7) O-Lan has no moral hesitation with theft.
8) She is not afraid to kill the ox.
9) Through multiple births she is strong enough to fare by herself.
10) She does not admit that she is sick so she doesnt disrupt the household.
I feel that the most compelling character in 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘌𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘩 is O-lan, who is mistreated and neglected for all that she does to help Wang Lung.
1) She does not have a clear origin story and comes from a great house where she was raised.
2) Her feelings are never truly shown and we can never analyze what her situation is.
3) Nothing good happens to her.
4) She is suppressed by Wang Lung’s love of Lotus.
5) She is as obedient as a dog, and follows Wang Lung blindly.
6) O-lan still behaves like a slave, even after she is married off.
7) She stays with Wang Lung even after he marries a second wife and casts O-lan aside.
8) O-lan has a strong character and is kind and humble.
9) She does work that a man would do and works to please Wang Lung, who does not appreciate her.
10) She does not take advantage of her household skills and remains submissive, choosing to live like a slave rather than being a proper wife of a wealthy man.
After reading The Good Earth I can say O-Lan is the most compelling character
1. Because she is timid and dose not say much it leaves us wondering what is really going on
2. O-Lan is strong enough to give birth on her own multiple times
3. After giving birth she goes right back into farm work
4. O-Lan showed great emotional strength when she killed her baby instead of having it suffer
5. She lived the life of a slave
6. She knew how to beg and that helped keep her family alive In the city
7. Cared very much about everyone else's well being
8. In the end the family falls apart with out her
9. She stole the jewels and got the family rich
10. She remains loyal to wang lung
After finishing 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘌𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘩, I believe the most compelling character is O-lan because:
1. She works tirelessly without complaining
2. She is continuously loyal to Wang Lung
3. O-lan never asks for anything (except the pearls)
4. She works after childbirth
5. She gives birth with no help
6. She stops Wang Lung from killing her children
7. She brings food by begging in the city
8. O-lan kills a child so she does not have to starve
9. Wang Lung is completely dependent on O-lan
10. She is treated as a second class person by Wang Lung
I think that the most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Ruku the main character.
1. She works super hard to grow her vegetables.
2. She has never given up on getting what she wanted including having a son
3. She is super independent.
4. She is a exactly how a old- fashioned indian would be.
5. She is determined to get back to village.
6. She sticks with her family no matter what.
7. She believes the best in the people around her.
8. She tries to save money een though they have barely snythingto eat.
9. She tries to always be the perfect wife and mother.
10. She is accepting of how her life went from riches to rags without her doing anything wrong due to her circumstances.
Upon reaching the ending of 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘌𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘩, I have concluded that the most compelling character is Wang Lung.
1. He shows strength in the face of adversity when he discovers that his uncle is a bandit who could rob him at any moment.
2. He is a good man at his heart but he makes mistakes like everyone.
3. Though he loves his second wife more than his first, when his first wife dies, he feels guilt and remorse because he cast her aside.
4. Wang Lung is able to go from a simple farmer to a rich land owner.
5. He engages in intercourse with a 12 year old when he is 70+.
6. He brings a prostitute to his house while his wife is there.
7. He makes the brave decision to not sell his daughter into slavery.
8. He gives his extended family opium so they fade off into irrelevance.
9. He provides a great life for children and future generation.
10. He treats his servant/worker as a brother and equal.
All of these reasons show why Wang Lung is a compelling character. He is a good man but not one without his faults.
The most compelling character in 𝘕𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘢𝘳 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘚𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 was Rukmani.
1. She has a very different life than people in today’s modern society because she was married at a very young age and had to move.
2. We get to know how she feels about the events in her life because the book is from her point of view.
3. She deals with a lot of tradgedy and loss.
4. We see she’s experienced poverty many times and it’s is very interesting to red because we cannot relate.
5. She worked a lot harder at age fifteen that we do now.
6. Rukmani had 7 kids and worked very hard to raise them.
7. Despite being in a poor state she knew how to read and write.
8. Her daughter became a prostitute and she had to be storng to accept that.
9. Her life was unpredictable because sometimes the rains didn’t come and rice didn’t grow.
10. She lost everyone she loved including her husband by the end of her story.
The most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Rukmani.
1. She loves her family and tries to be the best mother/wife.
2. She lets her kids do what she wants even if she does not like it.
3. She loved her husband even though he was lower than her.
4. She think it's important to learn how to read and write even though she did not go to school.
5. She tries to save money for her family.
6. She gets a job to get money and help her husband.
7. Her character is believable for old India.
8. She tries to remain positive and optimistic even during hard times.
9. She tries to do her best with everything she tries.
10. She is strong, especially when her sons die.
The most compelling character in The Death of Grass is John.
1. He starts as a caring father and later becomes a ruthless killer.
2. He is determined to get his family and friends to safety.
3. He takes his role as the leader seriously.
4. He lets Pirrie kill Millicent.
5. He feels no guilt about letting Millicent die.
6.He is the one that changes most throughout the book.
7. He allows people to join his group in order to survive.
8. He cares about everyone.
9. He decides to break into his brother’s farm.
10. He is able to take all the pressure.
The most compelling character in Death of Grass is Pirrie.
1) He kills his wife without remorse.
2) His the only credible threat to John.
3) Pirrie doesn’t want power even though he could.
4) Pirrie’s character is very strange and each of his actions makes one question him or herself.
5) Pirrie begins as a questionable character but ends up sacrificing himself for the greater cause of the group.
6) Pirrie is always loyal to John and even changes john’s personality in some ways.
7) Pirrie’s character is often breaking modern day laws without a question such as marrying a 16 year old and killing.
8) Pirrie character is the most adaptable character because he is a cold hearted person.
9) Even though he dies,his gun is a symbol of survival and the will to live for Davey.
10) Pirrie’s character is interesting because the stereotype for old men is that they’re weak and old but wise. Pirrie’s character takes the wise portion and makes him very strong.
In The Death of Grass, I think the most compelling character is John.
1. He is the leader of the group
2. He is the main character, we know the most about him.
3. You watch him slowly lose his morals
4. He changes the most
5. He slowly becomes ok with murder
6. He handles the weight of the situation well
7. He allows multiple children to stay alive
8. He joins two groups by killing the other groups leader
9. He forgets about his duties and a father
10. He is willing to kill his brother to save his group
At this point in the novel, The Death Of Grass, the most compelling character is John.
1) John has the most development throughout the novel compared to all of the other characters, which makes him unique.
2) He is a very good leader towards the group.
3) He is very determined and strong willed.
4) He is able to take charge and get things done.
5) John is kind hearted and is willing to do anything and risk everything to ensure his family’s safety.
6) He is able to make important decisions without cracking under pressure.
7) Is kind and allows children such as Spooks and Jane to join him and his group on their quest.
8) He is inspiring and never lets his people loose hope.
9) He is loyal and never looses sight in what is most important, safety.
10) He is never selfish and does not only think about himself, but also everyone in his pack.
I think the most compelling character in the Death of Grass is Pierre.
1. He kill his wife with absolutely no remorse.
2. He takes Jane even though it is socially unacceptable.
3. He shoots the guards trying to stop them from leaving London, but then allows John to finish the job.
4. He is physically fit even in his old age.
5. He has a mysterious auroa about him; not much is known about him.
6. He rarely misses his target when shooting.
7. He has all the knowledge and most experience out of the group, but he allows John to be the leader.
8. He trusts Johns opinión even though John has been wrong before.
9. He foresees a double crossing and prevents it when they get to Johns brothers farm.
10. He didn't care about others opinions in the group, he only did what he wanted to do.
After reading Nectar in a Sieve, I think the most compelling character is Ira.
1. She is a very independent woman is the book.
2. She so beautiful, looks amazing compared to her parents.
3. She raised her baby brother when her mom couldn’t
4. She doesn’t care what society thinks about her.
5. She raises a child when her ex- husband said she couldn’t bear one.
6. She loves her child a lot even though he looks different.
7. She is a role model to her brothers.
8. She picks up a lowly looked upon job so she can get money to survive.
9. She is obedient to her family.
10. She stands up for herself when her parents disapproved of things she did.
I am reading Nectar ina Sieve and I find Rukmani the most compelling character.
1. She is very forgiving and even through everything bad she does not place blame on others and easily forgives especially her husband.
2. She is a good mother to her children and does the best to put her children before herself.
3. She supports her kids dreams and wish even if she does not approve or like what they decide to do with her life.
4. When everything around her fails, she continues to be strong.
5. Rukmani does her best to help and provide for family if it means giving up her food or selling her possessions to have money to pay for food.
6. She strives to be a good wife and mother to her children even through tough times.
7. She never gives up on her family or herself.
8. She is independent and does not rely on anyone else to do something for her.
9. Through being poor and being wealthy she stays optimistic.
10. She is not afraid to express her option and make sure she is geared and valued.
The most compelling character in The Good Earth is O-Lan.
1. She is not considered beautiful but is far wiser than beautiful ladies.
2. She rarely shows signs of weakness or even change in emotion.
3. She is very helpful to Wang Lung but he doesn’t notice her importance.
4. Although she is not beautiful, she bears a pretty daughter.
5. She and Wang Lung do not love each other.
6. She is skillful in almost anything (housekeeping, cooking, labor, etc.)
7. She does not beg or live for the jewels or fame.
8. She is the first one to leave Wang Lung’s family.
9. She is very independent and can give birth by herself
10. She doesn’t ask for a slave
The most compelling character in the Death of Grass is Pirrie
1) He intimidates each member of the group even the leader John.
2) He murders his wife without a second thought and continues on through the night without remorse.
3) Pirrie confidently asks Jane to marry him after he participates in the murdering of her family.
4) Pirrie is not phased by any other character and does not back down from a fight.
5) Pirrie serves as an inspiration to even John, a rather independent man.
6) Pirrie has experience in combat and is a source of warfare knowledge.
7) Altough Pirrie has the intimidation and drive to be the group leader, he follows John's advice and influences John's decisions.
8) Despite Pirrie's old age, he contributes to the group greatly and carries the majority of the groups literal and figurative baggage.
9) Pirrie practically sacrifices his life for John's and the act of violence itself.
10) Pirrie is unpredictable and will be overcome with anger one moment and gentle and kind another. Despite the hatred of him (besides John) he remains loyal to the group and protects them.
I believe the most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is the main character, Rukmani. The following lists the reasons why:
1) Rukmani is able to adapt to change quickly, such as when she is married at twelve years of age and brought to a village where she has never been.
2) Rukmani takes care of her family by providing for them.
3) Rukmani is a very loving wife even though Nathan cheats on her with Kunthi.
4) Rukmani is very supportive of her family's decisions and does not interfere when Ira becomes a prostiture or when her two sons leave the village for work.
5) Rukmani displays a sense of hope throughout the book even when times are tough.
6) Rukmani is a very determined woman because when she is unable to conceive, she risks everything just to secretly seek fertility treatments from Kenny.
7) Rukmani is not afraid to stand up for herself and fight when necessary. For instance, when Kunthi threatened to tell Nathan about her visits to Kenny, Rukmani physically fought her.
8) Rukmani is able to find joy in the small moments and does not let tough situations discourage her from living.
9) Rukmani is very independent as she navigates through her hardships and changing times.
10) Lastly, Rukmani overcomes gender roles by being one of the few literate individuals in her village who can read and write.
The most compelling characher in The Death of Grass is Pirrie because-
1.) He is a born leader.
2.) He is not afraid to kill anyone who gets in his way.
3.) He has the guts to kill a young girls mother and then marry her the next day.
4.) He will not back away from any fight.
5.) He is strong willed and able to make decisions best for the entire crew.
6.) He feels that murder is the inly real way to survive.
7.) He taches John to be better with guns so he can provide for himself.
8.) He has no problem killing his wife when he thought it was necessary.
9.) He keeps fighting even when he id in pain and going to die.
10.) He knows what he is talking about and saves the crew multiple times.
I'm reading Death of Grass, and by far, Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1. Pirrie kills his wife without second thought.
2. He is quick to choose a young woman has his next wife.
3. He is the first character in the book to kill someone.
4. Not only is he ruthless, but he influences others to become more similar to him.
5. Pirrie is one of the most dynamic characters in the story right after John.
6. Even though Pirrie is the best at leading the group, he allows John to have the role of leader.
7. He shows no emotion when others are at a risk of dying.
8. Even though his ideas might seem extremely hostile, he has a smart way of thinking.
9. Most of the time, he put his life over a number of others.
10. He is one of the best shooters in the group despite his age.
I think the most compelling character in Gold Fame Citrus is Luz.
1) Her character is realistic and not as fake as the others.
2) She has a good heart because she takes care of Ig.
3) She thinks profoundly about every situation she faces.
4) She loves Ray with all her heart.
5) Although she loves Ray, she isn’t very loyal to him some of the time.
6) She knows what is good for her and what isn’t.
7) She speaks for herself with confidence.
8) Sometimes she is very clueless and has no idea of what is going on around her.
9) She is also very selfless and giving.
10) She is very friendly and trusts people very easily.
In Gold Fame Citrus, the most compelling character I believe is to be Ray:
1) Ray is selfless
2) He loves Luz despite her (MANY) flaws
3) he is willing to take in an orphan and raise her as his own
4) He takes on the role as a leader
5) Although he has been betrayed by Luz, he still remains loyal to her and easily forgives her
6) He miraculously survives through the most toughest events
7) He seems to be patient with Luz no matter how annoying and bratty she is
8) Ray knows the skills needed in order to survive
9) he is strong mentally and physically
10) he is brave during the most dire situations
After reading The Death of Grass, I am convinced that Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1) Pirrie has superior marksmanship, causing him to be essential to the survival of the band.
2) Although he has the power to do so, Pirrie is not interested in taking the position of leader.
3) His old age makes him experienced and wise.
4) He murders his wife without feeling a trace of sorrow.
5) Pirrie takes Jane to be his new wife despite the large age gap.
6) His awareness of the situation causes his advice to be taken seriously.
7) Pirrie knows that they must kill in order to obtain the resources they require.
8) His intelligence causes John to rethink his plan of ditching the group.
9) He is trusted by John regardless of his ruthless behavior.
10) All of the group members despise Pirrie for his lack of hesitation to kill.
After finishing my book I think that Puli is the most compelling character.
1. He can over come many struggles even though he has only stubs for fingers.
2. He doesn't rely on anyone and can fend for himself.
3. Puli is very street smart and can navigate the town quickly.
4. He is a great leader and the other orphans look up to him and respect him.
5. He's cunning and knows how to make a living on the streets.
6. Puli is strong and isn't phased that he is an orphan.
7. He cares for Rukmani and Nathan, and helps them earn money to make the long journey home.
8. Puli is very trustworthy and keeps their money safe without losing any.
9. He stays positive and encourages Rukmani and Nathan throughout their work.
10. Puli doesn't worry about the future and lives day by day.
In The Death of Grass, I feel Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1. Pirre is very strong for his age.
2. Pirrie has many great survival skills, such as killing.
3. Pirrie just decided on the spot just to kill his wife, without thinking about it .
4. He decided that he wanted a new wife, because he killed the other one, and he decides to go with a teen.
5. He is very brave and courageous despite his age.
6. Pirrie is very knowledgeable when it comes to getting his way around the city.
7. He kills people without caring that he is taking a life.
8. Pirrie is very determined and he never gave up when the going got tough.
9. Pirrie has the perfect qualities to be a leader.
10. He is very munpiulative by making John do what he says and by persuading the others to be more like him.
The most compelling character in The Death of Grass (the book I'm reading) is Pirrie.
1) It appears that he does not think twice about murder.
2) Once Pirrie is set on something happening, he forces it to happen his way.
3) Though he could easily take over the group, he doesn't.
4) Pirrie considers John wan equal when he could easily kill John.
5) Pirrie is despised by the other group members.
6) He is very knowledgeable.
7) He slowly influences John to become more heartless like him.
8) Pirrie attempts to replace his wife within a day.
9) His emotionless attitude allows for logical decision making.
10) Though he is hated, he has saved the group's lives before.
I believe that the most compelling character in 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 𝘰𝘧 𝘎𝘳𝘢𝘴𝘴 is Pirrie.
1. He appears to be an old man but is certainly capable of executing actions that require you to be extremely fit.
2. He influences John to work around him, almost inverting John's personality.
3. He hides his rifle in his blanket to save it from being pillaged.
4. After seeing Millicent with John, he kills her with almost no second thought whatsoever.
5. Even though he seems extremely self-centered at times, he ends up sacrificing himself toward the end of the novel.
6. He takes Jane even though the choice is morally wrong.
7. He has a proclivity for killing.
8. He is one of the few that knows the severity of the people's situation, which allows him to have a very high priority when speaking.
9. He is wise due to his age, which allows the group to survive with more knowledge.
10. He could easily be the leader of the group, but decides not to.
After finishing The Death of Grass, I think Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1. He is not afraid of killing anyone.
2. He has power because of his marksmanship with a rifle.
3. He will kill without reason if he wants to.
4. He foresees the outcomes of choices that the group makes.
5. He has a different set of morals from everyone else.
6. He is incredibly smart and strategic, and he advises John.
7. He is quick to accept the laws of the new world.
8. He is usually right when it comes to the survival of the group.
9. He is very level headed throughout the book and makes some good decisions for the survival of the group.
10. He is in excellent physical shape even though he is an old man in his 50s.
Death of Grass
I think Pirrie is the most compelling character for the following reasons:
1.) Will do what ever is necessary to survive
2.) Has influenced John and changed his personality
3.) He is very skilled in shooting
4.) He is very fit for his age
5.) He killed Millicent without hesitation
6.) He lets John make all of the group decisions
7.) He is smart and wise even though his thoughts may sound crazy
8.)He is fearless and brave
9.) Pirrie's character makes the reader question him
10.) He decides to marry a teenage girl after he murders his wife
The most compelling character in 𝙂𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙀𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙝 is O-lan
1. She is able to give multiple births alone without any help from another woman or her husband
2. She knows where the rich hide their valuables and is able to grab the jewels in order to get money
3. O-lan knows how to beg and is able to teach her family how to get when they become poor
4. She obeys Wang lung and is loyal to him
5. She is able to adapt to new situations
6. She holds the family together as she takes care of the kids and cooks food.
7. One of the few women who didn't get her feet binded
8. O-lan keeps her emotions to herself and doesn't show much pain
9. She doesn't ask for a slave when Wang Lung offers to get her one
10. She is sold as a slave when she is 10 years old
I feel that Luz Dunn I’d the most compelling character in Gold Fame Citrus.
1) Luz acts on her whims in desperate situations.
2) She had a complicated childhood because she was constantly put in the spotlight.
3) Luz is highly dependent on others, especially Ray.
4) She pours out all of her attention on people who depend on her, especially Ig.
5) Her intuition is not taken seriously but is usually proven to be right.
6) Luz is highly resourceful and knows what to do with what she’s given.
7) Her feelings are all over the place, especially when it comes to the male characters in the book.
8) She feels it’s the duty of Ray to take care of her.
9) Luz doesn’t completely understand the situations she’s in sometimes.
10) She puts herself after those that she cares about.
After finishing Gold Fame Citrus, Ray is the most compelling character because:
1. Ray is determined to travel great lengths and overcome nearly impossible obstacles just to help Luz and Ig.
2) He loves Luz despite the fact that she loved Levi too.
3) Ray loves Ig (a random child) as his own daughter after seeing that she has no suitable guardians
4) Ray has optimism and hope despite the harsh conditions of his situation
5) Ray is organized and always plans ahead for the future.
6) He easily forgives people (including Lonnie, Luz, and Ig) of their numerous bad deeds.
7) He is always patient and supporting of Luz even though she can be quite vain and selfish.
8) Ray is the only person who remained sane while he was in the Armagosa Dune Sea.
9) He doesn't give up easily, as seen when he chose to keep his life even though he lost Ig forever.
10) Ray is courageous and witty in even the most dangerous situations.
The most compelling character from the story “The Death of Grass” by John Christopher is Pirrie. Pirrie is the most compelling because:
1) He feels no remorse after killing his wife or anyone else he may come in contact with.
2) He is the only actual threat to John, the leader.
3) Despite having a gun, Pirrie never attempts to overtake the group.
4) He is able to take Jane as his wife with very little issues from the others in the group, despite the major age difference.
5) He is able to convince others, especially John, to respect him and his opinions.
6) He always manages to be in the right place at the right time.
7) His skill with guns is unmatchable and therefore makes him a necessary part of the group.
8) Pirrie always seems a few steps ahead of the group and usually has the best, most articulated plans.
9) Despite being quite old, he is able to keep up with the much younger members of the group.
10) He is always confident in his own ideas or plans and follows through with them despite the possible consequences.
After reading Gold Fame citrus I think the most compelling character is Ray.
1. He has priorities and takes care of the important things first.
2. He puts other people before himself and cares about his friends and their survival as much as his.
3. Ray loves a child found off the streets and treats her as his own.
4. Ray loves Luz even after he finds out about her love for Levi and puts the past behind them to stay friends.
5. Ray looks at the bright side of things even when everyone else is negative and telling him the won't survive or they can not last as friends, he still beli best they can.
6. He is always ready for unplanned events.
7. He is determined, he will not give up unless it is impossible to achieve.
8. The things Ray achieves are to help those who he loves more than himself.
9. Ray gives Ig lots of his rations of food and water even if that means it takes away from what he receives.
10. He puts up with Luz even though she can be a brat most of the time.
I believe the most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Ira because...
1. Throughout her childhood years, Ira remained innocent and humble even though she had undeniably beauty.
2. Ira understood the financial problems of her family and took matters into her own hands, even though her method of gaining money was not ideal.
3. Ira unceasingly protects and cares for siblings even when Rukmani couldn't.
4. She is obedient to her parents, providing an example for her younger siblings.
5. Ira cared for Selvam like he was her own child, creating an admirable bond between the siblings.
6. Ira provides unconditional love for Sacrabani despite his differences and the initial disdain from her parents.
7. Ira is always determined to help and improve her family's life. She never gave up hope even when her parents told her to do so.
8. Ira welcomes Puli into her care even though she knows that his arrival also means one more mouth to feed.
9. Ira has an independent spirit and does not rely on the aid of others.
10. Ira grows from a small girl to a grown woman throughout the story, maturing and learning many new lessons along the way.
After finishing Nectar in a Sieve, I believe the most interesting character is Ira, the daughter of Rukmani and Nathan.
1. She continues to love her child in spite of him being alibino.
2. She continues to try to become fertile even after her husband abandoned her.
3. She is hardworking.
4. She helps support her family.
5. She is willing to use unconventional methods to earn money for her family.
6. She is willing to give her food to her weak, younger brother, Kutti.
7. She thinks realistically.
8. Her personality changes from an obedient child to a strong minded young woman.
9. She continues to earn money from prostitution even though her parents disapprove.
10. She understands the dire situation of her family.
The most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Ira. The following states why:
1) Her beauty is greater than her village's expectations.
2) Her husband leaves her after she could not conceive.
3) She becomes independent after her husband leaves her.
4) She seeks fertility help from Kenny.
5) She eventually is able to have a child.
6) She goes against the traditional role of women and becomes a prostitute.
7) Her husband does not accept her nor is he patient.
8) She takes care of Kuti and loves him dearly.
9) She is determined to work so that she can feed Kuti.
10) She is accepting because she takes care of her albino child and does not care about his differences from other children.
I believe that O-lan is the most compelling character in The Good Earth.
1. She survives and does not break down although she is sold as a slave and beaten by her masters.
2. She is extremely loyal to Wang Lung even though he marries another wife.
3. She kills her own newborn daughter against her will in order to help her family during a famine.
4.She is able to create shelter, food, and fuel out of the most basic ingredients.
5. She works hard in the fields with Wang Lung even when pregnant.
6. She is extremely humble and modest, and never lashes out against her husband.
7. She loves and cherishes her children to the point where she blocks her husband from beating her naughty elder son.
8. She is very brave travelling many miles to go to the southern city and stopping a village raid.
9. She would do anything to get her family through including begging and stealing.
10. She values even the most basic wants in life and is always thankful for what she has.
Within The Death of Grass by Sam Youd, I believe that the most compelling character is Pirrie.
1. He is extremely wise (in a kind of twisted way).
2. He understands what is necessary for survival and will do pretty much anything against any enemy force.
3. He is extremely skillful with a gun that allows him to have a more authoritative feel.
4. He doesn't hesitate to punish or even kill if someone treats him badly.
5. He asks a young female, Jane, for her hand soon after killing her entire family.
6. Despite his age, Pirrie continues to hold a sense of leadership and power.
7. Even though Pirrie is quite feared by many characters, he allows John to hold the title of leader and even follows his orders. He is both a leader and a follower in a way.
8. Although Pirries get shot and wounded, he continues to fight.
9. He kills his former wife
10. He doesn't necessarily change anytime through the story. From first meeting him, readers can deduce his strength both physically and mentally.
In my opinion Ira is the most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve.
1) She undergoes a drastic personality change from sweet girl to struggling adult.
2) She seems to take responsibility for things that aren't her issues.
3) She looks past the flaws of her child when others won't.
4) She essentially sold herself to feed her mother's younger child.
5) She becomes more outgoing and less passive as the story develops.
6) She is able to continue after she is essentially thrown out by her husband.
7) When she finds out that her former husband now has a new wife she continues living and thriving.
8) She never gives up.
9) She finds ways around problems that otherwise might not have been possible.
10) She turned to prostitution to help another, even when she knew how judged she would be for doing so.
In the novel, The Death of Grass, Pirrie, because...
1. He is able to influence most decisions made in the group.
2. He is able to get away with his actions.
3. Although being able to get away with his actions, he makes no attempt to take over the group.
4. Knows how to use guns the best out of the group.
5. Leads the group in planning and executing objectives.
6. Most resourceful.
7. Questionable ethics.
8. Is most likely the best fit to adapt to new situations, as he did when they left London.
9. Asks to marry a young girl after helping murder her parents.
10. Killing his wife for not being loyal.
After reading The Death of Grass by John Christopher, I believe that Pirrie is the most compelling character. Here are the ten reasons why:
1. Pirrie knows survival and has a deep knowledge of guns. In any survival type situation, he can find a way out.
2. He murders his wife without any hesitation
3. Pirrie always has something to say, as far as leadership goes, and he makes a point to John that his ideas should be heard.
4. Pirrie gets shot at on the fight at David's farm, but he keeps going and just shoots people up until he goes down
5. Pirrie also has an odd interest in girls much younger than him, given the fact that he is pretty old.
6. Adding on to his liking of younger girls, he asks a teenager to marry him shortly after killing her whole family.
7. He doesn't leave much room for emotions in his decisions, which makes him one of the more logical leaders in the group.
8. He's cold hearted and will kill any person who has the slightest intention of hurting people
9. He teaches John to shoot better and also is one of the reasons John changes so much as a character
10. He is a good marksman and shoots until he can't anymore.
I feel the most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Rukmani
1) she would do anything for her kids
2) she is ok with moving around
3) she is loving and caring because she accepts Puli for who he is
4) she would do anything for Nathan because she loves him
5) she is independent because she was able to travel back to her village without her husband.
6) she knows how to defend herself. She thought Ira was Kunthi, so she attacked her.
7) she tries to save money for her family.
8) she isn’t too dependent on people or things.
9) she feels guilty that her friend died.
10) she always has hope.
At the conclusion of my novel, the most compelling character is John.
1. John was easily persuaded by Pirrie to take actions he wasn't originally comfortable doing, but ended up being beneficial to the purpose of their fight.
2. Pirrie the most creative character when developing new strategies to further help human survival.
3. Everyone believes Pirrie or follows his lead due to his strong knowledge of the cause they're fighting for.
4. Pirrie has a considerably strong background knowledge of guns, a weapon that has great significance in the Death of Grass.
5. Pirrie does not give up throughout any fight even when strong physical conditions may occur.
6. Pirrie is the leader of the group, and is therefore the strongest and most compelling.
7. He proposes to Jane after leaving her with no family, as he shot her parents.
8. As Pirrie contains no emotional ties to any single person, he is the smartest and strongest member of his group.
9. Pirrie can easily execute his morally wrong actions but get away with it.
10. Pirrie enters the novel and is immediately accepted by everyone, not just him but his ideas as well.
After reading The Death of Grass, I believe that Pirrie is the most compelling character for the following ten reasons:
1. Pirrie adds more suspense and action to the story, making the plot more intriguing.
2. Pirrie understands the importance of survival.
3. Pirrie is the most unpredictable character because his decisions are made without emotion but much rather logic.
4. Pirrie is cruel but stays loyal to John.
5. Pirrie undervalues the life of a human but does so with reason.
6. Pirrie marries a younger woman after killing his own wife.
7. Pirrie understands the cost of the outcome of the virus more than anyone.
8. Pirrie will do what has to be done in any circumstance without question.
9. Pirrie handles a gun well enough to face survival.
10, Pirrie is extremely intelligent which allows him to have an authoritative lead in the group.
The most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Rukmani.
1. She cares dearly about Nathan, even though he betrayed her.
2. She is a well educated women.
3. She perseveres through even though life even though she faces many challenges.
4. She is an independent woman even in the time of need.
5. She has the ability to take charge when needed.
6. She is not a weak woman.
7. She has a positive outlook in certain situations.
8. She is an outstanding mother to all of her children.
9. She understands the importance of letting her children be themselves, and inorder for her to do that she must let them go.
10. She is dedicated to working in the fields inorder to get the money to provide for her family.
In Gold Fame Citrus, the most compelling character is Luz.
1) She has somewhat of a mysterious past
2) she cares a lot about Ig
3) she always shows ray how much she cares about him
4) she is calm in stressful situations
5) she reminds me of one of my friends
6) she is always kind
7) she always knows what to do
8) she comes from a rough past but is still a good person
9) she has good self esteem
10) she can take care of herself
In my novel, The Death of Grass, I believe the most compelling character is Pirrie.
1. Pirrie is very persuasive towards the group by convincing them that their survival is necessary compared to others lives, especially John.
2. Pirrie owns a gun shop, so that adds to the suspicious actions and behavior.
3. In the group, Pirrie felt that survival came first and also seems to feel no remorse for his harsh actions.
4. Pirrie killed his wife with almost no hesitance and then married a younger girl.
5. He appears to be an old man but is certainly capable of means of survival that require you to be extremely fit.
6. Pirrie does many horrible things throughout the book with the excuse of survival.
7. His skills throughout the book makes him a valuable part of the group, and seems to have a mind of his own.
8. Even though Pirrie gets shot and hurt severly, he continues to fight.
9. Pirrie's first appearance makes himself seem very different from the rest of the story.
10. Pirrie also questions others ideas and acts stubborn: claiming his plans are the best.
I think that the most compelling character in the novel Nectar in a Sieve is Ira:
1. She has to grow up really fast and doesn't get to enjoy her youth.
2. She would do anything to help her son and brother.
3. She is a hard worker.
4. She accepts her son despite his issues.
5. Through everything Ira never gives up.
6. Ira takes a logical approach to her family situation.
7. She is an independent woman.
8. She is strong and believes she can do what she sets her mind to.
9. She puts everyone in her life first.
10. She does not back down to her parents when they disapprove.
In my book, The Death of Grass, I think the most compelling character is Pirrie, and this is why:
1. He keeps making suggestions and wise words of wisdom
2. He owns a gun shop... ironic bc they need it for their adventure (and survival)
3. He is protective in a way... armed himself when Roger was attacking him when he entered his gun shop
4. He uses a lot (more) of violence to get what he needs for survival
5. Most of the time beats John when it comes to ideas and making smart decisions
6. He kills his wife without any remorse (oops spoiler alert)
7. He then later marries a much younger girl
8. Although he is old, Pirrie is a great leader because he’s strong willed to get things his way + get them done
9. His personality quickly develops throughout the story from more of a quiet, introverted one to one that takes charge and turns out to be more extroverted
10. Almost everyone in the gang hates him in some sort of way
The most compelling character in Gold Fame Citrus is Levi:
1. He is a very educated person.
2. He is obviously the leader of the colony with strong leadership skill.
3. He speaks of how the dune 'calls' to him.
4. He convincingly acts like he loves Luz.
5. He goes off into the dune sea in search of water and actually brings it back to the colony though they are in drought.
6. He, almost magically, comes upon buildings in the middle of nowhere stocked with resources.
7. He only cares for those that are of value to him.
8. He is manipulative and knows how to brainwash people.
9. He has a goal and will not allow it to take another course other than the one he wishes.
10. He is basically a cult leader.
I am reading The Death of Grass, and in my opinion, Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1. He murders his wife, feeling no shame afterwards.
2. Pirrie then proceeds to marry a much younger woman.
3. He has a background in guns and survival; this makes him a valuable member of the team making the trek to the valley.
4. He seems jaded in the sense that comments by other characters do not seem to make him think twice or change his mind.
5. Given this attitude, I find it interesting that Pirrie still lets John make most leadership choices.
6. His method of putting his life above others seems cruel, but it is actually a smart way to ensure his survival.
7. He is responsible for the character development of John into a more emotionless, cruel character.
8. Pirrie remains a static character throughout the turmoil of the book.
9. He gets away with this attitude of self centeredness and lack of morals.
10. Instead of quitting, Pirrie continues to fight when he is shot.
Wang Lung because he has climbed his way to the top and is now rich.
He bought a prostitute.
His uncle is at his house even though his uncle is a bad person.
He is turning into the old man of Hwang.
He is the main character.
He is ungrateful for O-Lan
He is a hard worker
He has changed a lot
He’s starting to realize his faults
He is now not very strict to his culture
The most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Rukmani because...
1. She is able to adapt to tough situations, like when she goes from her parents in the middle class to a farmer. She learns how to plant and live that type of life.
2. She is very smart, even though she is in poverty she knows how to read and write.
3. She has the ability to plan ahead. She takes the amount of rice they have and figures out how to divide it in order to feed her family for the future.
4. She would do anything for her kids. She would rather feed them instead of herself.
5. She is accepting of everyone, she accepts Ira even when she turns into a girl on the street. She also accepts Puli even though he doesn't have fingers
6. She is devoted to anything she sets her mind to. Like when she tried to have a son.
7. She is hardworking, when she first moves to the farm she teaches herself how to plant vegetables.
8. She is very loving and forgiving, like when she forgives Nathan even though he cheated on her with Kunthi
9. She is hopeful even in the hard times, when her and Kenny where in the city she remained hopeful that they would get out.
10. She is emotionally stable for her family, like when her sons die she keeps pushing for the rest of her family.
At this point in Gold Fame Citrus, Ray is the most compelling character because
1) he is always caring about others and tells them to be careful
2) he is brave and can catch a prairie dog
3) he is hardworking and always working in something
4) he is organized because he keeps a list
5) he is loving because he compliments others
6) he is responsible and makes sure others are okay
7) he has leadership and guides others
8) he is trustful and honest
9) he listens and tries to understand others
10) he is supportive and cheers others on.
In the book I am reading, The Death of Grass, I think the most compelling character in John because...
1. He's the one who keeps the morals straight throughout the group.
2. John tries to help as many people as possible.
3. He is the official leader of the group.
4. John doesn't let anything stand in his way to help his family.
5. John helps push everyone forward to their goal.
6. He always tries to focus on the brighter side of life.
7. John brings forward some of the more interesting conflicts in the book.
8. He tries to keep the children away from the darkness of the nuke.
9. He's cool-headed when stuck in a seemingly impossible situation.
10. John is a trusting guy when it comes to his family and friends.
In Nectar in a Sieve, I believe the most compelling character is Ira.
1. She went great lengths to support her family through poverty.
2. She defied her father in order to support her little brother.
3. She accepted her son despite his physical differences.
4. She is very independent.
5. She is stubborn and strong-willed.
6. She is loving and accepting of Puli when he first arrives.
7. She prioritizes others' health before her own.
8. She is cast aside by her husband because she couldn't give birth.
9. She resorted to prostitution in order to keep her little brother alive.
10. Her mindset changes from a carefree child to an adult with major responsibilties.
The most compelling character in The Good Earth is O-lan because:
1. She is oppressed by her husband even though she shows her respect to him
2. Her wisdom is overshadowed by her appearance
3. She never desires for wealth
4. She stays quiet throughout her marriage and never tries to fight back
5. She is brave and can give birth by herself
6. She fights for survival
7. Even though her husband had an affair with Lotus, she continued to stay in her marriage as a concubine
8. Once she dies, Wang Lung realizes her importance within the family
9. She has experienced oppression as a slave in the House of Hwang
10. She makes the hardest decisions for the family
I read The Death of Grass, and in my opinion, Pirrie is the most compelling character.
1. Pirrie adds more suspense and action to the story, making the plot more intriguing.
2. He murders his wife without any hesitation
3. Although being able to get away with his actions, he makes no attempt to take over the group.
4. He is able to take Jane as his wife with very little issues from the others in the group, despite the major age difference.
5. He foresees a double crossing and prevents it when they get to Johns brothers farm.
6. Pirrie can act surprisingly kind hearted, like at the end he told John to leave him to die so that John can finish the mission
7. He saves the group multiple times because of his skills with a gun and doesn't dwell on that fact.
8. Pirrie is a character that is disliked by many but was essential for success.
9. Pirrie owns a gun shop to begin with, so that adds to the mysterious behavior.
10. He is quick to except the new laws of the land before anyone else and seems to take the law into his own hands before everyone else does.
The most compelling character in The Death of Grass is Pirrie.
1- His morals are extremely questionable and different from everyone else's, such as asking to "have the rights to kill his wife".
2-He is not reluctant to join and help the group even though Roger chokes and tries to kill him.
3-he has the most skills in the group whether it is survival or shooting skills.
4-His choice in women is strange because he goes for younger women who are less than half his age.
5-he has a way of seeming loyal and cruel at the same time. He is extremely loyal to John and always does what he is told, but he also does not hesitate to kill making him harsh and cruel.
6-He is smart and thinks ahead when coming up with a plan. He has a good plan when they try to find Mary and Ann and ends up saving them.
7-He successfully brainwashes members of the group including John. Even Ann mentions how Pirrie negatively influences John and how John has changed.
8-He hides his violent personality at the beginning of the book. But as the plot develops, Pirrie shows his true colors and his malicious nature.
9-Even though he is old, he is not a burden to the group and carries his own weight.
10-He shows no emotion when killing someone and does not appear affected when he shoots his wife.
In the novel, The Death of Grass, Perrie is the most compelling character. Perrie at first tried to deny Rodger of a gun but ended up giving it to him. Perrie also decided to ditch town with Rodger. Perrie obtains excellence marksmanship. Perrie is not scared to shoot and kill someone with a gun. Perrie can be selfish in situations but can also be valient. Throughout times, Perrie has shown to be courageous and inspiring. But while being courageous, he has also shown some moments of losing hopes and being discouraging. Perries tries to be a leader and makes helps make big decisions for the group. Perrie never allows the pressure to get to him and stays calm and cool. Perrie is someone who stands out from the rest.
After finishing my novel, The Death of Grass, I have decided Pirrie as the most compelling character.
Here are the reasons why:
1. Pirrie is skilled with weapons. This helps the group survive on their journey and keeps John from killing Pirrie.
2. Pirrie is reserved and suspicious, creating suspense.
3. He kills his own wife without guilt and even admits he had been thinking about it for awhile already.
4. He later finds another girl, who’s much younger, to take the place of his dead wife.
5. He changes John. John becomes more like a stubborn leader with Pirrie’s influence.
6. He is quite smart, sometimes even more so than John. This makes him remarkably dangerous.
7. The entire group is wary of him expect John. It’s clear that he’s different.
8. He is neither afraid nor hesitant to kill without cause.
9. Since John trusts him like the second-in-command, he can get away with doing unspeakable things.
10. He puts survival first.
After completing my novel, Nectar in a Sieve, I have decided that the most compelling character is Kennington. This is because:
1) He is very secretive about his past. The book never specifically states where he is from, or where his family is, or even who gave him all the money to build the hospital. The closest we have come to answering these questions was when he vaguely stated that he had a wife in another country.
2) His motivations for helping Rukmani and her family are unclear. He never states why he wants to help her, and it never becomes clear why he wants to help Rukmani specifically.
3) His attitude towards Rukmani is confusing. He is at once condescending and respectful of her at the same time.
4) He never explicitly states why he is in India, or who is funding his building of the hospital.
5) His manner of speech varies greatly depending for no obvious reason. He goes from cruel to kind within a few seconds.
6) He is very intelligent.
7) He vanishes for years at a time, returning acting as if he had never left.
8) Rukmani seems to have an irrational fear of him meeting her husband.
9) He works for close to nothing without ever giving an explanation for how he is able to survive.
10) He is at once friends with everybody and nobody.
After reading the novel Nectar in the Sieve, I believe Rukmani to be the most compelling character.
1. She is very strong throughout the losses of her loved ones.
2. She understands that being literate is important which is quite remarkable keeping in mind the traditional values of an Indian village.
3. Unlike current times, Rukmani got married at the age of 12. She didn’t complain and quickly adapted to her new life.
4. She is accepting of her family member’s decisions such as when her daughter became a prostitute.
5. She never gives up.
6. When she is unable to conceive, Rukmani is determined and hopeful to seek help from a fertility doctor in secret.
7. She provides for her family in times of need.
8. Rukmani is also very forgiving towards Nathan when he cheats on her with Kunthi.
9. She worked hard to raise her family.
10. She is an independent woman.
After finishing Death of Grass, I think that Pirrie is the most compelling character because...
1. He casually killed his wife.
2. Just moments later he told everybody he was marrying a teenager who he met a couple days before.
3. He is different and more violent than the rest of the group- but everyone is okay with it.
4. Pirrie is an older man but is still ahead of the group- physically.
5. He is very stubborn.
6. He stays static throughout the whole book.
7. He is amazing with weapons.
8. He is good at persuading others.
9. He is actually pretty loyal to the group and their safety(besides his wife)
10. Though rough- he is consistently kind to Jane, and Jane actually likes him
In my book, Nectar in a Sieve, Rukmani is the most compelling character.
1. She has hope throughout the entire story, even when life throws many obstacles and disappointments at her.
2. She stays strong for her family and for herself.
3. When Rukmani finds out Nathan had cheated on her, she is able to forgive him. Her love for Nathan and their family was stronger than the need for hatred and revenge.
4. The way she cares for her family is unlike any other. She's persistent even when rations run low and monsoons destroy crops.
5.When she puts her mind to something, she is determined to make it happen.
6. She never acts or poses herself as the damsel in distress. She doesn't rely on others for help and is independent for the sake of family.
7. In a place where Rukmani lives, education is something that's difficult to attain or grasp. Despite gender roles and cultural norms, Rukmani perseveres and becomes literate.
8. She is accepting of everyone and sees the good in people.
9.She never gives up despite many hardships.
10. She is extremely selfless. Rukmani would do anything for the people she loves. She puts her family before herself.
I am reading Gold Fame Citrus and so far I think the most compelling character is Luz because:
1) She is very indecisive and can’t choose between guys.
2) Although she could have left Ig laying around in the streets she takes care of her.
3) She cares for Ray and was genuinely worried when she thought he was dead.
4) She is risky and doesn’t mind taking chances.
5) She can be pretty dumb sometimes but occasionally she will make good decisions.
6) She can’t trust many people and basically had to raise herself.
7) She tries to see the good in the world.
8) She pays attention to details.
9) She’s determines and whenever there is a problem she tries to fix it.
10) She’s open minded and think of others first.
I think the most compelling character in the story The Death of Grass is Pirrie.
The reasons are:
1. He kills his wife, which is very surprising.
2. He is manipulative for his own survival.
3. Great leader, even though he gives the leadership role to John.
4. Has no regrets about his actions.
5. Does everything needed to survive.
6. Has a personality that is normally calm with some weird violent moments.
7. Is the wisest of group and has the most experience.
8. In great shape for being old.
9. Is unpredictable and causes a lot of drama.
10. Very determined with everything he does.
In my opinion, Ray is the most compelling character in the novel Gold Fame Citrus.
1) He is the most caring person anyone could imagine. Being thoughtful for others and showing love to everyone.
2) Although he doesn't have the best life, he always seems to have a way to show compassion and be grateful.
3) Throughout the novel he is put into the most bizarre situations, yet he always had a skill in him to solve the problem.
4) Ray was willing to sacrifice his life for the people he valued in the story. He ventured into the wilderness without the sufficiency of water and food, yet he still went for the hope that he could get help for the others he cared for.
5) Ray was, from the beginning, loyal. He never put his eyes on anyone else except the ONE he loved.
6) He never was angry. No matter how terrible someone did too him he was always calm and resolved the misunderstanding with kindness.
7) Ray was always willing to hear the others opinion before stating his thoughts.This helped lessen the misunderstanding and mistakes.
8) He made sure he heard both sides of the story before he judged and/ or showed his anger to anyone.
9) Such dedication was shown in this character. He loved a girl so much that he cried for her when they were separated. This was not for a brief moment either. Hours went by.
10) Whatever he did was for the safety of others and the encouragement of others that he put himself second to everyone else.
The most compelling character in The Good Earth is O-lan.
1. During each of her births, O-lan gave birth alone and without any help.
2. Soon after giving birth she returned to the field and began working.
3. At a very young age O-lan was sold to be a slave.
4. O-lan is humble and does not ask for help and takes it upon herself to work and help Wang Lung.
5. While in the city, O-lan helps the family earn money by begging.
6. When Wang Lung brings Lotus to their house she does not act disrespectful towards her.
7. She is very quiet and doesn't speak often but when she does it is important.
8. The decisions O-lan made helped the family become rich.
9. She is loyal to Wang Lung even while he has a mistress.
10. She makes the difficult choice to kill their child right after birth so that the family will have enough food.
After finishing 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 𝘖𝘧 𝘎𝘳𝘢𝘴𝘴, I believe the most compelling character is Pirrie.
1. Most of his companions dislike him for his actions but they realize they need Pirrie for survival.
2. Pirrie changes John's actions and turns John into more of an ignorant leader.
3. Pirrie believes law does not exist anymore and can kill anyone.
4. Pirrie kills his wife without any hesitation.
5. After John and Pirrie kill the parents of a young girl, Pirrie decides to marry the girl.
6. After Pirrie is shot, he continues to fight instead of backing out.
7. At the beginning of the book, Pirrie demonstrates leadership by deciding on the tough decisions.
8. Pirrie is a skilled marksman, which benefits the group when they are attacked or raiding.
9. Pirrie is able to persuade others to follow him.
10. As the book progresses, he demonstrates a more adamant and aggressive nature.
In the novel, Nectar In A Sieve, the most compelling character is Puli.
1. As soon as Puli gets involved in Rukmani and Nathan’s search, he brings hope
2. Puli is able to bring comic relief to the two characters and to the readers
3. He has an interesting, compelling personality
4. The questions about his nubbed fingers are left unanswered, compelling the reader to want to know more about his past
5. Puli has more of a personality than any of the other characters
6. He makes Rukmani and Nathan’s lives happier just be being in them
7. He is a symbol of new beginnings
8. He is a surprise to the reader, coming out of nowhere, and he’s a blessing in disguise. He leads the couple exactly where they need to go.
9. Puli de-stresses the two main characters from the hardship of poverty, hunger, and loss
10. He thinks he is more authoritative and grown up than he actually is (he is just a kid)
The most compelling character in the Good Earth is O-Lan
1. She is loyal to her husband
2. She gives natural birth by herself
3. Wang Lung becomes rich because of her
4. She works in the fields with Wang Lung
5. She puts her family's needs ahead of hers
6. She tends to Wang lungs father
7. She only talks when necessary
8. She doesn't ask for fine jewelry
9. She cooks for the family after working
10. She worked in the field while pregnant
I think that most compelling character in Nectar in a Sieve is Rukmani
1. She is literate in a time where most women and men are not.
2. She is understanding and respectful of other decisions.
3. She is forgiving to Nathan when he cheats on her.
4. She is willing to protect her family when they are threatened.
5. She is helpful to people in need, for example, she helps Kunti give birth.
6. She easily adapts to new locations.
7. She is hard working and is willing to do anything to earn money and put food on the table
8. She provides for her family so that even during a drought they have enough food to survive.
9. She is willing to fight for her family.
10.She can easily overcome difficulties.
The most compelling character so far in 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 𝘖𝘧 𝘎𝘳𝘢𝘴𝘴 is Pirre, here are the ten reasons why.
1)He's able to hold his own as seen when he got attacked when he was first introduced
2)He joined the group when he was first introduced even after he was attacked by Roger
3)He is able to kill when he needs to as seen later on after he was introduced when they needed to kill guards to get out of London
4)He is smart and was able to inform his wife that they needed to get out without bringing attention to the exact reason why.
5)He's old. I like old people in books.
6)Pirrie is able to make leadership decisions
7)Pirrie has a persuasive attitude to him
8)He has definitely questionable morales
9)He is a skilled marksman in the group
10)He doesn't seem to question his own morales
I am reading the Good Earth and the character I find the most compelling is Wang Lung for the following reasons,
1. The book is from his perspective.
2. His character does a complete 180 from the beginning to the end of the book.
3. His character fluctuates with the arability of the land.
4. Idleness seems to be his greatest weakness as aposed to the hardships he faces.
5. He cares for the child that can't speak more than the children who can.
6. In the beginning he never cares for beautiful things but towards the end he views o-LAN as less than she is as she isn't beautiful.
7. He wants his father to be proud of him though the father is a douche.
8. He gives his wife the pearls but also takes them away.
9. He changes for lotus but never for O-LAN who does the most for him.
10. He is a contradiction.
I believe that the most compelling character in The Death of Grass is John.
1) He is not afraid to fight and kill people to protect his group.
2) He know show to deal with domestic problems within the group well.
3) He chooses his fights well.
4) He considers what is best for the group.
5) He killed his brother just to protect the group.
6) He is trustworthy and loyal to his family. (throwing shade at pirrie)
7) He is not violent and mean when he doesn't need to be.
8) His morales are clear to him, and he knows it.
9) He is a quick decision maker, which saves the lives of the group multiple times.
10) He makes some bomb soup
After reading The Death Of Grass, I find the most compelling character of the novel is Roger
1. Before the disaster truly hit London, Roger predicted and warned others of the danger. Despite Ann’s stubborn optimism, Roger convinces and essentially saves John’s family.
2. As the first character to acknowledge the danger, Roger actually still believes he should have prepared more
3. Although his voice of reason often comes across as rude, Roger always treats everyone with respect.
4. Just like all the other characters, Roger is hardened by the experiences in the novel. Except, he remains the same in principle.
5. Roger saw Pirrie’s unjust actions and warned John that he should not be approving of Pirrie’s wild actions. Eventually John saw this, too.
6. Despite being an excellent voice of reason, Roger accepts John as the leader of the group.
7. Roger selflessly encourages John to take asylum with his brother David and leave the others behind.
8. Roger actually has a distinct personality compared to the other characters in this novel. He isn’t afraid to voice his opinion on what should be done.
9. Roger is always the one to suggest that they keep the group as small as possible. Although no one wants to hear it, he is logistically right.
10. For some reason, although staying to the main mission of reaching David’s farm, Roger is fine with not getting to stay at the farm.
After finishing Nectar in a Sieve, the most compelling character is Rukmani.
1) Rukmani is resourceful and clever, especially at moments of scarcity.
2) She is one of the few literate women in the village.
3) Although her struggles are well detailed, she still remains mysterious. For example, I'm still curious considering her relationship with Kenny.
4) Rukmani is kind and adopted Puli, although she has several children.
5) Rukmani is also active and attempts fieldwork, unlike other women in the village.
6) She can see far into the future and is able to think of viable plans.
7) Rukmani is also forgiving to her husband, even though he had an affair with Kunthi.
8) Rukmani is also quick and useful during times of struggle.
9) Rukmani notices and is clever when is=t comes to revealing other vharacters personalities.
10) Rukmani wishes the best for her large family and strives to achieve even when sufffering tragic losses.
After reading The Death of Grass, the most compelling character is Pirrie.
1) He started off as a random and mysterious character with little backround.
2) He protects others in the group.
3) He is a skilled marksman.
4) He kills his own wife.
5) He easily persuades others.
6) He has a brutal and decisive nature.
7) He marries a teenager he had just met.
8) He continues to fight after being shot.
9) He doesnt let others affect his decisions
10) He helps John develop as a character.
After reading the Death of Grass the most compelling character is Pirrie because
1. He is a natural born leader
2. He manipulates people without them knowing to achieve what he wants
3. He does not care for others, only himself
4. He only solves problems with violence
5. He never lets other disagree with him
6. His personality never changes throughout the book
7.He is very intelligent and withholds emotions when making decisions
8. He craves power and always takes it from others
9. Immediately after killing his wife, he takes on a teenage girl
10. He has questionable morales
John is the most compelling character.
1. He is loyal to his group
2. He protects people in his group
3. He is a great leader
4. He is trustworthy
5. He has good morales
6. He kills people for the sake of his family
7. is always positive
8. Looks for the best in every situation
9. Quick decision maker
10. He has the most passion in the group
(Didn't have internet at home)
I’m reading the Death of Grass I think pirrie is the most compelling character.
1 he could easily take control of the group but he doesn’t
2 he killed his wife, and had planned to for years
3 he decided to marry an underage girl
4 he is the strongest character, yet is also smart
5 he does what he wants
6 he could have betrayed his own group yet he doesn’t
7 he is a good shot, and therefore very helpful
8 the group needs him to survive
9 Jane trusts him, despite him killing her father
10 he ultimately can control and manipulate John to his needs
At this point, the most compelling character in "The Good Earth" is Wang Lung for several reasons:
1. The book ends back where it started, but from Wang Lung as a rich man instead.
2. The book is told from Wang Lung's perspective, so we have a full insight of everything that happens in his life.
3. Wang Lung is a dynamic character.
4. Wang Lung's wealth is determined by the quality of the land.
5. As the land changes, so does Wang Lung.
6. Although he appears to be an uncaring human being, he is the only one who cares for his mentally disabled daughter.
7. Wang has plenty of love to give around (Lotus and Pearl Blossom).
8. Wang was wise about the use of his money for the longest time.
9. He made smart decisions about raising his sons to be scholars.
10. In his old age, he made a wise decision about letting the second son make his decisions for him in regards to the money being sent because the second son was a merchant.
I think the most compelling character in “The Good Earth” is Wang Lung because
1. The book focuses almost entirely on him.
2. Through his hardship, he retains one goal: improving his land.
3. As he becomes more wealthy, his approach on life changes.
4. Towards the end he starts to dislike O-lan because he feels she is not beautiful enough.
5. He appreciates some things more when he no longer has them, like O-lan.
6. He is fascinated by his mentally-challenged daughter, although she can provide nothing for him.
7. No matter what, he always sticks to his cultural beliefs and traditions.
8. He continues to provide for his father even though it means less food for everyone.
9. When his uncle begs him for help, he only helps him because he is an elder, showing the importance of his culture.
10. He is willing to do anything for Lotis but did little to nothing for O-lan, although O-lan is a big reason why he becomes so wealthy.
I think the most compelling character in the “The Good Earth” is Wang Lung because:
1. He is the main character of my book
2. He rises from nothing
3. He is becoming a man of power in his village
4. he is a dynamic character
5. the book his from his perspective
6.He works hard especially when he and his family are in hard times
7. He has strong roots because he helps out his relatives he doesn’t like in times of need
8. his favorite child is his Daughter that is disabled
9. He values his land above all else knowing it can support him
10. even in times of need he will not steal from other, he prefers to work for his property and food
Now that I have finished reading Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya, I have concluded that the most compelling character is Kunthi for the following reasons:
1) Kunthi is morally ambiguous.
2) Kunthi is manipulative and strong-willed characters like Rukmani have caved in to her.
3) Kunthi is able to get exactly what she wants from people.
4) She turned to prostitution as a source of income during a time when this was taboo.
5) She corrupted even Nathan.
6) The development of the tannery excites her.
7) She figured out how to extort food from Rukmani and Nathan.
8) Not much is known about her relationship with her husband.
9) She remains aloof despite the gossipy village women.
10) Her resolve breaks around children, showing that she does have a softer side.